Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The New Hampshire Results

After discussing Hillary Clinton's "crying" episode in class today, I made up my mind that all this attention was negative and could only hurt her campaign- I guess that's why I'm not going to grow up to be a campaign manager. The results of the New Hampshire caucus came in tonight and to my surprise, Hillary was the top dog with 39%, but Obama was a close runner up with 37%. Another statistic that astonished me were the numbers of votes that the candidates received- you can talk about percentages all day, but saying that McCain received 37% is not equivalent to saying he is tied for Obama. Hillary received 100,951 votes, Obama received 93,954, but McCain only got 79,501. I don't know if this is because New Hampshire is a very democratic state, but it just surprises me because I didn't realize how much support the Democrats are getting.

One question I had was how important are the different caucuses in relationship to one another? I was reading some comments about the Iowa caucus and one person said something like, "Iowa is like preseason football, nobody cares about it." Is that true? I am very unaware about this side of politics since I never really had that much interest in it in the past, but since I am going to be able to vote this election, I have been trying to pay more attention.

3 comments:

Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.