Saturday, December 29, 2007

How Sad Life Really Is

A few days ago, a tragic event occurred. At about 5:45 am at the Salt Lake City Airport, I was listening to a news report and the top story was a suicide bomb in Pakistan. When I heard it, the first thing that came to my mind was "not again." It is so sad that I have only lived on this planet for almost 17 1/2 years, but there have been so many bombings, so many acts of terrorism, that there are way to many to count. As the reporters continued the report, they said that the bombing took place at a political rally for a woman named Benazir Bhutto, who I had never heard of before, and that there were 14 casualties.

As I yawned, I felt some empathy toward the families of those people that had lost their loved ones, but quickly turned my attention back to the television. The TV anchors produced mixed reports about the state of Bhutto, one saying that she was fine and rushed away from the scene, and another that said she had minor injuries that were being attended to, and a third saying she was critically injured. I didn't know anything about Bhutto and the strives toward democracy she was trying to produce, I assumed she was another dictator or something like that.

Unfortunately, she was one of the few good guys in the area, but as I was sitting in that hard, cramped terminal waiting area, I couldn't help but think that she was fine- that some jackass journalist in Pakistan was trying to cause a lot of hype and seize the sympathy of those foolish enough to believe him. Now knowing the real truth, I feel terrible for thinking such thoughts, but can anyone blame me for mistursting the media? They have printed so many lies and God knows what else (especially in the Middle East), but I for one am sick of it.

1 comment:

Agretch said...

Great post, and as i woke up that morning on vacation i also saw the same CNN reports. I just did a blog on how sad life really is, and how lucky we are, and this just further backs up my point. How can bombings like this be happening while we're sitting here blogging on a website in the comfort of our gigantic houses? Bhutto was a great women pushing for peace and trying to free her country of terrorism and further unite it. I feel as if we're detached from the rest of the world in America, the rest of the world was greatly impacted by this, but we were only impacted because we hate terrorists and she vowed to hunt them down. Where'd we go wrong?