Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sweet Home Chicago

I have lived a half an hour from Chicago my entire life and have loved every minute of it. It is the most beautiful, clean, and enjoyable big city in the world (in my opinion). As a child, my favorite part of vacations is the flight back home and looking over the city at night- the dazzling lights brighten my spirit and I have always whole-heartedly enjoyed that.

Visiting the city on Wednesday was an extremely enjoyable experience for me. I rarely go to the city anymore (except for Bears games) because I have no time for it. I loved walking around the city independantly and being trusted to wander around in such an inviting city. Never before had I noticed all the Native American artwork all around the city, even though it was staring me in the face. They were the kinds of things that my eyes would normally gloss right over as I gaze at the skyline or Millenium Park. It is strange to imagine that these pieces have been sitting there for my entire life and I had never noticed it once- and I'm sure the majority of people that live in Chicago have not noticed it either.

Just imagine, if these pieces of art are 'hidden' from the community, what else is hidden as well? There is so much in this world that is overlooked, but it is so strange to think that there are millions of things that our eyes glance past without a second thought.

2 comments:

Josh said...

This is exactly what i was thinking. I just realized the importance and symbolism hidden in the statues. I also wonder though what are the other forms of hidden art and where are they?

Also if chicago has so much hidden art, then what about a city thats older, like New York? How much hidden art is their?

Johnnykins said...

Very interesting..i agree and i would like to add that looking past just the cities, theres so many yet to be discovered in the entire world, so many fossils to be uncovered and new species to be declared.